Thursday, January 12, 2012

Time to Survey Christmas Greetings


Well, here we are–the day after Christmas. 
If you are like me you are sitting among the remnants of the holiday–a trash bag in the corner full of wrapping paper scraps, a bit of ribbon here and there on the floor, empty boxes everywhere, a stack of new treasures one of the kids left under the tree, and tons of leftovers and dirty dishes.
There was so much to do before Christmas Eve and now there’s so much to do to get ready to celebrate the New Year, but for right now–for right this minute–it can all wait. Finally, I can take a few minutes, sit by the tree and look through the stack of Christmas cards we received this year. It’s always interesting to look at the various cards. Some are very religious, some are humorous, some sport rather modern artwork while others are more traditional. Some cards stick to versions of Santa while other cards use other symbols of Christmas such as holly, ornaments, or the Christmas tree. Some say Merry Christmas, some say Happy Holidays and many add in “and a Happy New Year” as well.
Thumbing through the Christmas cards has always been a little tradition of mine since I was a little girl. I was really into all the places Mom and Dad’s cards were mailed from, and Mom had a great time explaining who all the people were and how we knew them. She sent so many cards and always received over one hundred even on the slow years.

So with my love of Christmas cards I guess it wouldn’t be a surprise if you discovered I’ve been writing about the official White House Christmas card since 2006 at my weblog, History Is Elementary and a blog I contribute to from time to time–American Presidents Blog.
I’ve enjoyed the process of learning about the cards, and thought I would share some of them with you.
You can finish reading this column over at Douglasville Patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...