Monday, October 5, 2015

Is there really such a thing as an egg-sucking dog?

An article in the Campbell County News during May, 1883 stated, “One of our citizens has recently been troubled with suck-eggs dogs. He suspicioned a dog belonging to [someone] in the neighborhood."

"Finally, on last Saturday night he and his wife decided to leave a dose of strychnine near the nest, and thus rid the settlement of so worthless a cur. Imagine that gentleman's feelings when he arose the next morning and beheld his own faithful yard dog lying cold in the embrace of death.”

I guess it never occurred to this unidentified Campbell County man that the dog going after his eggs was his own hound.

A suck-egg dog.
What in the world is a suck-egg dog?  I've led a sheltered life away from the propensity of dogs to suck eggs.

Who knew?
Apparently, a suck-egg dog is one that  goes after the eggs your chicken lays.
Perhaps I'm naïve regarding this issue due to the fact I've never owned chicken.
At least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...