Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day, 2012....a Few Links


I was working on a regular column to post today when it dawned on me that it would be a holiday….and an important one at that.

So….i made an executive decision and decided I would put my regular posting on hold and provide you with some links to read during the lulls of sunbathing, grilling, or doing any of the other things people tend to do on Memorial Day.

The first two links have ties to Douglas County involving our own fallen soldiers.

Remembering Those Who Serve……Remembering Robert G. (Jerry) Hunter

Douglasville During World War I. Remembering Douglas County’s first fallen soldier from World War I
While these next two links don’t exactly deal with fallen soldiers they are my efforts to remember the war service of two of my uncles who both served during World War II
Gliding into D-Day…..was written in 2008 as a remembrance for my Uncle Buck who was a glider pilot that fateful day.   Later in his life he would tell me about his experience with tears flowing from his eyes.  I write, “Had it not been for my Uncle Buck and the other members of the US Army Aircorp Glider Pilot Corps the first wave of soldiers would not have gotten to the shores of Normandy as they did. The soldiers who were carried on the gliders had the very important job of securing the right and left flanks of the beach prior to the advance of the larger invasion force on the beach.
Timberwolf Up!.....is my salute to my Uncle Robert where I took some family information and was able to trace his movements in and around Europe.  I wrote in 2006,He also received a Purple Heart for being wounded in battle. A bomb hit close by him, and a large piece of flat metal hit his leg. He was told that if it had hit edgeways, it would have cut off his leg. His knee swelled so badly that he couldn’t get his pant leg on. He was sent to a medical unit where he remained for four weeks, but then was sent back to the front line.....That’s what Timberwolves did. They didn’t give up. They were tough.Nothing in Hell can stop the Timberwolves was their battle cry, and they proved it day after day as they slogged through Europe.
and have you ever wondered how Memorial Day really got it’s start?    Sure, we know it as Decoration Day….a day that got its start here as thousands of Confederate widows decorated the graves of their fathers, brothers, sons, and husbands, but one of the very first organized efforts to recognize fallen American heroes was in Charleston, South Carolina in 1865 primarily by newly emancipated slaves.   You can read more about it in my post Remembering the Martyrs of the Race Track:  The First Memorial Day.
I hope everyone has a restful day……

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...